Students and staff must complete a health check each morning to attest they have no symptoms of COVID-19 or contacts with people who have tested positive for COVID-19.
Attestation and/or screening of all persons upon entry is an effort to limit access to anyone that has symptoms of COVID-19 to district facilities. This process is required by The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), as well as the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I). (Paper copies are available if needed; the Health Check website is available in multiple languages).
Here are the definitions of health screening and attestation to provide more context to these actions:
- Screening – the process by which a person is asked by someone else (the screener) if they have specific symptoms or have been in contact with someone with symptoms. If the person answers no to all questions, the screener takes their temperature. If their temperature is under 100.4, they can proceed into the facility.
- Attestation – the process by which a person attests (confirms) that they are symptom-free, have not been around someone with symptoms, and that their temperature is under 100.4 in the last two hours. This can be done verbally, with a submitted form, or by signing a roster.
The expectation is that all persons entering LWSD facilities must first provide an attestation that they meet the criteria outlined by OSPI and L&I for entering a District building. Each LWSD facility will have a station or stations set up for this purpose at predesignated area(s) to facilitate this process as quickly as possible.
- All students entering a school must have a Daily Student Attestation form submitted or complete the screening process by the Attestation Screener:
- A parent/guardian must be called if elementary students or non-verbal students show up without a form, and they must attest over the phone. The student will then be logged as “Screened” on the log sheet.
- Students on site for less than 15 minutes (picking up materials, for example) can enter via the visitor log with no form.
- Secondary students can complete the form on site if they do not have a filled-out form.
- Staff will also perform a visual check, or health screening, to look for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
- If a student or staff member exhibits any COVID-19-like symptoms, they will be asked to stay home.
- Staff members will take the temperature of students upon arrival at the school.
- A quarantine room (Q Room) will be available for students who experience symptoms at school while they await pick up.
- A separate health room will be available for any non-COVID related issues.