All schools in Lake Washington School District are working hard to create safe physical spaces for students and staff. The specifics of physical distancing will look different from school-to-school, here are some details that will be consistent from school-to-school:
- Desks will be set up to facilitate 6-feet of physical distancing.
- We will limit the use of shared materials.
- Instruction will be redesigned to minimize interactions within the 6-foot zone.
- Families will receive school-specific information about arrival and dismissal procedures.
- Parents/guardians who drive students to school will have a designated drop off/pick up area and should remain in their cars. Designated entry and exit points will be used to ensure physical distancing.
- Masks are required at recess.
- Students may remove masks to take a short “mask break” outside as long as 6 feet of social distancing can be maintained.
- Students will be encouraged to physically distance while staying with cohort groups.
- After recess, students will be required to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer.
- Students will not eat or drink in the classroom.
- Students needing to eat or drink outside of scheduled times will do so in supervised, designated areas outside of the classroom. Students will remain physically distanced.
- Students will only remove their mask once they have reached the designated area and are instructed to do so. Students will use hand sanitizer before touching their masks.
- Once students are done with their food/drink they will be instructed to use hand sanitizer and then put their masks back on. Students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer prior to returning to the classroom.
- Schools will have additional masks should a student damage or misplace their mask.
- Students who wish to receive free meals will be able to take home a grab-and-go bag consisting of a lunch and breakfast at the end of each day.
- Signage encourages students to maintain 6 feet of distance in hallways and common spaces.
- Transition times will be staggered to limit the number of students in hallways at any given time.
- Signs around buildings also reinforce handwashing, physical distancing and face coverings.
- Hand sanitizer stations have been installed throughout buildings.
- Bathroom capacity will be limited, and students should wait outside when capacity is reached.
To prevent the spread of germs, the Centers for Disease Control recommends washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol to clean hands. Hand sanitizer does not replace good handwashing practices.
- Students and staff will be required to wash or sanitize hands upon entering the building and will be asked to wash and/or sanitize hands frequently throughout the day.
- We have implemented enhanced daily sanitization of high touch areas such as door handles, faucets, and railings.
- We are providing hand sanitizer stations throughout the school. In the event of an active COVID-19 case in one of our buildings, we will utilize electrostatic sprayers for deeper cleaning. (Electrostatic spray uses a solution that is combined with air and atomized by an electrode inside the sprayer. The spray contains positively charged particles that are able to aggressively adhere to surfaces and objects.)
- The flow of fresh air will be maximized throughout every building.
- All air filters throughout the district were replaced prior to occupancy and have a minimum rating of MERV-10.
- Visitors are limited to those deemed essential.
- Parents and guardians are not permitted on campus during in-person learning.
- Drop-off of items is limited to critical items only, such as medication.
- Drop-off of items deemed non-critical are prohibited (instruments, homework, projects, etc.).
- For any essential in-person volunteering in our schools requested by a staff member, the volunteer:
- must be an approved LWSD volunteer,
- will need to go through the same attestation process/screening process as required for staff to be in the building, and
- will follow all safety protocols, including wearing a mask at all times and meeting physical distancing requirements.